Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vanity Fair's "My Stuff"

I love reading Vanity Fair for so many reasons.  I love the in-depth articles with seemingly no word count limits.  I love how there are 34 pages of ads before the table of contents.  And I love the "My Stuff" section, where taste-makers and trendsetters of high society share their favorite things and indispensable items.  

In this section you can find out everything from "Who inspires Rihanna?" (The Navy Seals), "What are restaurateur David Chang's favorite sheets?" (Any high thread count white sheets), and "What is Mad Men costume designer Janie Bryant's favorite snack?" (Smoked oysters on toothpicks). 

It's a fascinating look into what the stylistas and fashionistas of the world are wearing, using and grooming themselves with.  But I wonder... what if the rest of us got to be stylemakers for a change?  What can we learn from the everyday American? 

So I walked down to my local grocery store to interview some common folk.  I met a wonderful 72-year-old woman named Dorothy Becker, and she invited me back to her  home for a conversation.  I asked her a few questions in the fashion of "My Stuff."  Here are her answers.

----------

Dorothy

HOME
Where do you live?  Piedmont Gardens Retirement Community, Oakland, CA.
Favorite art?  My 8-year-old niece's finger painting.
Sheets?  Better Homes and Gardens 250 thread count, twin-size sheet set.
Stationery?  Unicef cards by Hallmark.
Cocktail?  Fresca with a splash of gin.



CLOTHES
Jeans you can't live without?  Lee Side-Elastic Stretch Jeans
Favorite underwear?  I'm uncomfortable with this question.
Sneakers?  Dearfoams Plush Clogs.
Watch? Classic Mickey Mouse watch, from a lovely Disneyland trip.
Designer?  Kathy Ireland.


GROOMING
Favorite Shampoo?  Prell Classic. 
Toothpaste? Sensodyne.
Soap?  I splurge!  Dove Sensitive Skin.
Where do you get your hair cut?  We have an Asian girl come to the complex every month for trims.  She's lovely.



INSPIRATIONS
Favorite discovery?  My Jitterbug phone's auto dial feature.
Necessary extravagance?  I treat myself to a See's assortment every Christmas.
Who inspires you?  My grandchildren!
Favorite vacation spot?  Branson, MO.
Favorite movie?  When I feel sad, I put in my VHS copy of "Shall We Dance."  Astair truly was magical.



-------

Well, there you have it.  Quite enlightening, wasn't it?  Thanks again to Dorothy for her time.

1 comment:

Batch said...

This can't be real...